Thursday, October 7, 2010

Wow, Starting a Business is Really Tough!!

Boy, do I need help and I probably need it fast.  About 6 months ago I started my own art business.  I went and got my business license and let me tell you, that was the easiest part.  A few weeks later I got the paperwork in the mail telling me tobe sure I pay quarterly taxes.  OK, I need to figure that whole thing out.  A few days later I received paperwork telling me to be sure I charge and pay my sales tax.  Got to make sure I figure that out.  Should be pretty easy.  I'm in CA, so I guess I add 8.75% to all sales, unless the person lives in another state.  What tax does that state charge.  Sweet, getting hard already.

I figure I need one of those Small Business bookkeeping thingees.  I ask around and most people seem to recommend Quicken.  100 and sum odd dollars later, I have Quicken, but no idea how to use it.  Oh, and apparently, I get to write that 100 and sum odd dollars off.  About 7 transactions into my Quicken program, my balance is all out of whack and I can't figure out where some of the figures come from.  Somehow someone who bought a $1200 painting and paid me for it, still owes me $3600.  I don't mind, but I'm sure the client will mind.  I delete it and try again.  Same thing happens.  <<promptly hit the close Quicken button in complete frustration>>  I find out for two days of my time and $400 I can attend a Quicken boot camp.  Peachy.

Obviously I need to do some marketing to gain clients, so I do all the things social media experts say to do.


  • I start my own Facebook Page and luckily that is really fun.  I get to post my work and see if anyone comments.  I get this little nervous excitement each morning to see if anyone became a fan.  Sometimes I get one new fan and other times for some unknown reason I get 12 new fans.  I really envy people who have 2000 or more fans, but at the same time I may get overwhelmed as it ends up taking on a life of its own.
  • I also started using Twitter.  You can really dive yourself into that.  But it's so necessary to use to get your name out there.  Again, another moment of excitement to see if anyone new is following.  Twitter has allowed me to cyber meet so many great artists, mompreneurs, bloggers and small business owners.  It's also added another hour or so of time to my business day.  
  • I have my own website that I constantly update with new paintings or announcements.  
  • I did research and found that most people said they sell their art more from their blog than Facebook, Twitter or their website.  If you're reading this, you obviously know I have a blog.  You notice I didn't say write a blog.  It will be a while until I feel like I'm good enough to call it writing.
Of course, I'm an artist and my product is art.  Let me tell you, that art doesn't make itself.  I spend hours and hours creating my art, but the more involved my business gets, the less time I have to create.  If I don't create, I don't have a business.  <<perplexed look on my face>>  What is a mother of two and wife to do?  I started my business to make money.  I think that's why most businesses start, but in order to run my business, I need to think about hiring an accountant, bookkeeper, art agent and probably some other person to do things I don't know how to do.  How much does all that cost?

I have a headache and I need to go get my son from Kindergarten.

3 comments:

  1. Keep up the spirits and surround yourself with wise counsel. You may be able to "barter" some services from business "fans" (like a good accountant who could use a great piece for their office lobby, etc.) You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy:

    Stick with it and keep doing what you are doing--looking for help and a way to get traction so you make money instead of the reverse. That being said, it's not you. The economy really is bad. We think 25% of our customers have closed their businesses in the last 2 years. You started your business as the roller coaster was screaming down the hill...but it has to go back up soon.

    RJ Stribley

    ReplyDelete