Thursday, October 14, 2010

SEO: Written by a Newport Beach Artist

Today I read a 27 page report about Search Engine Optimization and how it could help my blog and business.  I'm OK with the computer to maybe the second or third level down, but after that my eyes start glazing over.  I figure if I'm really going to use online marketing to sell my art, I better learn some of this stuff.  Search Engine Optimization or SEO is what you do to get more people to visit your site.

Think about what you are or what you do for a living.  I am a contemporary artist who lives in Newport Beach, CA.  I Googled, Newport Beach Contemporary Artist, and after scrolling through the first 10 pages, I clearly saw that my website, blog site, or facebook page did not show up.  I am obviously not Search Engine Optimizing.  I did the same thing with just Newport Beach Artist.  Nope, zip, nada.  No Amy Pryor Fine Art.

So, this little nifty 27 page report said I needed to have better titles so these spider thingys can crawl on my site and categorize it into indexes.  Notice, I called this blog "SEO: Written by a Newport Beach Artist."  I'm assuming those spider thingys are having a hay day with that title.  Maybe I'll find my way to the 10th Google Page.

It also said to have links on my site so the spiders can cross over from other popular sites and vice versa.  These spiders like to know you hang around with other people.  If you want to read the full 27 page report, click here.  See what I just did there.  The report was written by Brian Clark, the founder of CopyBlogger and Scribe.  Apparently he is a big deal in the SEO world.  I just did another one of the tips.  Mention other well known people.

Of course, your content needs to be good so that people want to read it.  But SEO is what leads people to you so they can read it.

Another thing you should do is use taglines.  Ahah. Now I know what that is in my Blog settings.  A tagline can be considered another title for this article.  Maybe "How an Artist Uses SEO" or "SEO Basics for the Beginning Artist."  This way it has a better chance of being found when someone does a search.

Another SEO tactic is guest blogging on someone else's blog.  This way you can post your sites on that blog and direct that person's followers to you.  Similar to what I mentioned earlier but adding the guest blogging part.  My guess is, you're already doing a pretty good job if someone wants you to guest blog for them.

To recap:


  • Google a title for yourself and see if you show up
  • Make sure your title is "search" friendly
  • Have links on your site directing it to other websites
  • Have good content
  • Use taglines or multiple titles to the same website or blog
  • Guest blog, so your website can be attached to someone else's website
There are some real basics to getting started in SEO.  Hay, I'm an artist, not a tech expert.  If you want more in depth details, read Brian Clark's How to Create Compelling Content that Ranks Well in Search Engines.

Of course, if you would like to look at some beautiful art go to www.amypryorfineart.com

Amy Pryor
Newport Beach Contemporary Artist  ;)

4 comments:

  1. Okay, when are you finding time to sleep...moming, arting,startuping,blogging..keep working, well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I mention I'm also a mad scientist who has figured out how to clone myself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about this post until you mentioned it last night.

    But in reference to your phone post earlier this week...

    Well, SEO is exactly how I've never had to use the phone in the marketing of my business. I've also never paid for any advertising. SEO is the reason.

    In the building of my sites, I have spent more time on this aspect, than any other.

    It's a critical, complex series of ongoing tasks and you have found the golden nugget - it ALL begins with good, target keyword rich copy.

    You are going to make your mark 100x faster by studying these critical online methodologies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sugarluxe - is there anything you recommend using in order to learn more about SEO? It sounds like you did it all on your own. That's good, because I'll be in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete