Monday, October 11, 2010

When Are You Giving Too Much?

After many hours of painting and repainting, I am finally finished with a landscape painting I was working on for a possible client.  Notice I used the word "possible."  That's right, I'm not even sure this person will ultimately buy the painting.  It's also a landscape painting, and if you have seen my work, you'll know I am mostly an abstract artist.

But this was a project that an art broker presented to me and it could lead to several more paintings since it is for a commercial building.  From a little guidance on what the client wanted I went to work.  I first made the canvas since the dimensions were a little unusual.  I received some swatches to work with and the advice that the painting should resemble a coastal scene.  I painted and painted and painted.  Oh did I mention I painted.  I pretty much gave up two full weekends.  I heard a lot of "where's mom?" and hearing my husband answer, "in the garage."  I finally finished the painting and the broker took it to the client.  The response came back luke warm to put it best.  I had too much ocean, the painting was too blue, and the trees weren't detailed enough.  All the work I had put into it was all for not, although it wasn't a total loss.  I was able to go back and redo the painting, now that I had more information.

I went back to work and spent many more hours on this painting.  I finally finished it last night and let the broker know so he can present it to his client.

After I was done, my husband expressed his feelings regarding the amount of time I spent on this painting.  My argument was this painting could lead to many more paintings.  Not only that, I was starting to hear more people then I realized knew I was making this painting for this client.  (Art has a small world around it and news travels fast on these kind of things)  I feel like my reputation is on the line.  He feels that since it is completely different than my usual style, it won't have an effect on my reputation.  I haven't mentioned that my husband handles the business aspect of our art business.  He talks about other paintings I could have created in the time I spent.  I argue that other paintings may not have had a buyer, this one does.

How much do you give when it comes to art?  Do you stick to your personal style and try to be successful on that?  Do you break from your norm, just to sell a painting?  How much time is too much time?  I would love to hear your comments, especially if you are on my side.  :)

Amy

4 comments:

  1. Stick to your style...which by the way is terrific..I believe it has public appeal...so the long and the short of it all is that you should stick to being you as there are many others out there willing to do the landscape stuff as that is what they do...all you need do is be yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Christine. I find it so difficult to turn something down that could help pay the bills. It's not like I have people beating down the door for paintings. I'm certainly trying hard to get there. I'll keep you posted on what happens with this client.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To answer your closing question: You do what you feel like doing.

    If you feel like trying something new, to please a client and/or to push the limits of what you normally do, than do it! You might surprise yourself and discover that you really enjoy this different subject matter or medium. It's great to experiment.

    If you only want to paint in your own style, than do that. You can tell all your would-be clients that if they want a painting from you, it has to be done your way. You can get away with that if you've developed a strong following.

    Either way, you can't make a mistake. It's all about what you want to do. You can't get it wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it, but I have to go with Maria on this one...do what you want to do. The investment of time in the piece is the artists equivalent of R&D...explore, no telling what you will find...you have to invest without proof that there will be a payoff...you know, R&D...

    Is this why your mood is tanked?

    ReplyDelete