Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tell a Story, Your Potential Clients Will Connect to You More

I spend way too much time looking at artist websites to get ideas on how they market their art.  Don't worry, I'm not stealing images to duplicate.  :)  One of the things I have noticed on a few sites is a story being told about each painting.  I really like that.  I learn about what the artist was thinking while they were making the painting.  Were they in a happy mood, depressed mood, flirtatious mood, really dark mood or no mood at all?  Some paintings will express the artists mood without an explanation attached.  But a lot of abstract paintings, which is what I paint, don't fully tell that story.

I sold a few paintings to a law office because they wanted paintings that had more meaning behind them.  They had the traditional cityscapes on the wall at the time.  They wanted to tell their clients a story.  I was able to provide that.

I know one of the things I'm going to work on over the coming weeks is adding the story to each of my paintings.  If you look at my work at www.amypryorfineart.com, you'll notice I have different series.  A Circle Series, a Floral Abstract Series and a Women Series.  I'm in different moods whenever I paint those paintings.  I realize now, my potential clients should know what those moods are.

My question for you is, "What mood are you in, when you feel you create your best work?"

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,

    I'm one who found you through Maria for the record. ;-) This post is dead on. It add so much to a piece.

    Here's an example why: I always try to give the background or story with each painting. A couple months ago I posted a painting to my Facebook fan page and it was purchased by someone. In talking with that collector they told me that when they saw the painting they really liked it but when they read what I had written they had to have it.

    Telling our story is crucial to connecting with our potential clients. I believe the story adds to the magic. Thanks for sharing this and I do love all the other posts I've read by you so far.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, thank you so much for your comment. Maria has been very helpful and I'm glad you found me through her. I love telling stories and my art is one more way to tell them. I wish you much success and keep selling those paintings.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete