Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I've Rejected YOU but buy MY Stuff

It's probably just me, but does anyone else get annoyed when you end up on galleries distribution lists after they rejected your submission? Throughout the year I have submitted my work to various galleries, open calls, art contests and grants. Luckily I have had a few say yes, but a lot more say no. Now, I actually hear more from the ones that said no than the ones that said yes. Even worse are the ones who never responded to your submission, but they added you to their list. My inbox gets filled each day with announcements from galleries about the artist they chose over me. A constant reminder and slap in the face of my rejection. I know I'm an artist and I'm ultra sensitive, but am I alone here?

What they are telling me is, "we didn't like your work, but we like your money and all your contacts money. I'm going to send you an e-mail every other day in hopes that you and your friends come in and buy the paintings of the artist I like over yours."

I'm mostly joking here, but who else is with me?

4 comments:

  1. It only seems that they have rejected you...when in reality, you have rejected them.

    By staying true to your voice, by creating the magic you make, it is clearly beyond their current comprehension. So, by doing what you do, you have rejected them. They are simply not yet good enough to sell your work.

    These are the secret little things I told myself in the beginning to keep me going. As insane as I might sound, it worked.

    Rejection is all about perception. Bottom line...they don't deserve you. Maybe one day they will, but for now, you are too far ahead of the curve, and they are behind the times. Their loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. I love that. You're right, they don't deserve me. Although my Chicago Gallery just got me an unbelievable opportunity. I can't wait to share it, but I had to sign a non press agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These people are not very smart in the fact they do not filter their emails. Shows ignorance at is best and honestly you should be proud that you are not letting such pathetic people have any control over your work and great talent. You will do great without these people. Let rejection motivate you to prove them wrong, you know your strengths and talents and too bad they didn't see that, they will be the ones sorry in the future:-) Hope you have a great day Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amy Marie. The internet has definitely allowed us to get our name and art out there without the help of galleries. I'm guessing they are shifting their business model. I appreciate your positive enthusiasm. Thank you for becoming a follower!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete